Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 07:50:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Utz Family <utz@serv.net>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what do i need to do to get devices for newpcm?

Thanx for the man errno pointer!

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Kevin Day wrote:

> > device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>
> > so, i poked around in /usr/src/sys/dev/sound but i cant figure out what
> > pcm0 attach returned 6 means!
> >

> 'man errno' lists what most common error numbers mean:
>
>      6 ENXIO No such device or address. Input or output on a special file re-
>              ferred to a device that did not exist, or made a request beyond
>              the limits of the device.  This error may also occur when, for
>              example, a tape drive is not online or no disk pack is loaded on
>              a drive.
>

> Roughly "device doesn't exist". Why you're getting that is another mystery, though...

so that is consistent with the 'device not configured' message that i am
getting from /dev/sndstat.

so we know it gets probed, because it shows up in dmesg, but it looks like
the pcm hookup fails to occur. is it possible that it doesnt recognize the
device? one of the really annoying things about this chip (CMEDIA CMI8330)
is that the docs say it's pci but it's actually isa pnp.

so i seem to recall the esteemed Mr Grant stating that he had seen this
chip work with newpcm, am i mistaken?

any and all suggestion on how to get this working would be appreciated...