Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 12:20:21 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, "Peter D. Pawelek" <ppawel@axess.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is Linux leaving FreeBSD behind?

On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 07:02:01PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> "Peter D. Pawelek" writes:
> >
> > In fact, it's just grown by one...me.  :)
> >
> > I've just jumped ship from Linux (Slackware user for 3 years) to FreeBSD
> > since I fear that the Linux 'community' is starting to balkanize (ie.
> > RedHat's largely divisive strategy of 'market' domination and
> > de-standardization) and will likely degenerate into a muddled anarchy
> > within a few years. I've also grown tired of the core of Linux users who
> > evangelize the gospel according to GNU.
>
> Very well put. Describes my feelings about 3 years ago when I jumped off
> Linux when it crashed and trashed its filesystems the 3rd time in one
> week. FreeBSD filesystems may be slower, but losing data is even slower.

The filesystem isn't slower. If you remove many directories, the linux
machine (as I know it) starts syncing like hell after some time
and this hurts the overall performance.

perform a bonnie benchmark and you'll see, that we are probably
better in filesystem throughput.

If you have to remove many files, you are free to turn on async
for this operation (mount -u -o async /xyz) and after that back
to normal operation mode.

With softupdates enabled in -current we fly away ...

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?