Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:23:27 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tickadj -t not changing tick

In message <35ad9407.200559635@mail.cetlink.net>, John Kelly writes:
>On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:30:29 +1000, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
>wrote:
>
>>machdep.i8254_freq: always exists, never hurts to set it right, but only
>>	essential for it to be right on systems using it for timekeeping
>>	(2.2., -current on sub-586's and 586+'s running SMP or APM.
>
>Sysctl shows my default value of machdep.i8254_freq = 1,193,182, the
>same value one of my hardware books says is the "standard" oscillator
>rate input to the 8254.  But since my clock runs fast, my oscillator
>seems to be at a slightly higher rate.  So am I correct in assuming I
>need to increase the i8254_freq value to match the true oscillator
>rate, and the kernel will adjust accordingly?
>
>And besides trial and error, is there any way of determining what the
>true frequency of my oscillator is?

You want to fiddle kern.timecounter.frequency (units: Hz) or
kern.timecounter.adjustment (Units: PPM/2^16)

The real way is to run ntpd, if you don't have a permanent connection,
consider looking into "burstmode" in the new xntpd4...

>I know what the 8254 is, but what is the TSC?

A 64 bit counter internal to the Pentium, which counts clockcycles...

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal