Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 10:11:52 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>, "James D. Butt 'J.D" <jbutt@mwci.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, danny <danny@pentalpha.com.hk>
Subject:   Re: cvsup problem in 3.1 stable

> It became -BETA Sunday, AFAIK, and the release is scheduled for
> Saturday.. (U.S days).  It is -BETA so that 1) all the pre-built
> packages on the CD have 3.2 in them, and 2) it gives a week for -stable
> users to beat it to death to try and find bugs before release.  AFAIK,
> no new features are allowed during -BETA, only bugfixes.

VERY correct.  Also by calling it "BETA" hopefully users will know this
is their last chance to let us know of any show stoppers before the
release.

In general the version goes like this:

  3.1-RELEAES --> 3.1-STABLE --> 3.2-BETA --> 3.2-RELEASE --> 3.2-STABLE

P.S. Another need for "3.2-BETA" for a period of time is to let port
maintainers make sure their ports will build under "3.2".  My own LSOF
for instance didn't recognize "FreeBSD 3.2" and thus this period of time
gave me time to fix it before the code freeze.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)