Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:13:20 +0300
From:      Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel PPP, PAP authentication and system passwd file

Hello.  Sorry for asking this *again*, but I am almost desperate,
after some six hours trying to make the thing work, reading man pages,
the handbook, mailing list archives and pppd sources, while having a
friend call the modem every two minutes or so, to check the progress.

I am using FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE (cvsupped at about 02:00 GMT, on Aug.
15th), and I cannot get pppd to work with the setup mentioned in the
subject line.

So, can anyone please enlighten me with this: I want to have kernel
PPP, with PAP authentication and using the system password file, and
wtmp entries. (I want all the users with accounts on the machine to be
able to connect, but it is OK if I will be able to config who can
connect, and who cannot)

I set up a little chat script to put the modem in autoanswer and
no-echo mode (I found the ATE0 thing in the mailing list archive).

I have tried the following options: login without auth allows anyone
to connect, no matter the password.  login with auth refuses
connection.  login with auth and require-pap and refuse-chap fails to
connect.

My problem seems to be the fact that I only get "PAP authentication
failure for user XXX", no _login_ failures, so I suspect either the
plogin function in /usr/src/usr.sbin/pppd is not called, or it does
something strange.

(Fun note: before I read parts of the source, I was even trying to
change the order of options in /etc/ppp/options)

So, can anyone please post a working /etc/ppp/options and the details
(should /etc/ppp/pap-secrets exist or not? what should it contain?
what about /etc/ppp/pppshells? should I use domain and name in
/etc/ppp/options? any more hints?)

I am willing to try and compile a tutorial or an article to send to
freebsd-diary, or to send to someone that manages the handbook/docs
if I get enough info.

Please me to the CC: if you reply, I am not subscribed to freebsd-isp

Thanks for the help,
	Alex