Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 1995 14:31:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   VM/buffer problems

After seeing the VM/buffer stuff go in and not having rebuilt my kernel
since Dec 4, I decided it was about time for an upgrade, so I duly supped
myself up to date and made world before building a new kernel.  All was
fine, it seemed until I tried to run X.

X ran up fine and I started a copy of lucid emacs and started trying to do
some work, running a compile.  Unfortunately, the machine froze solid
about 30secs later.  I have no idea what happened and the kernel didn't
dump a core.  I have DDB in the kernel, so it may have been stopped in
DDB but since the graphics card wasn't in text mode at the time, I
wouldn't have seen it.

Before running X, I had been doing a bit of I/O intensive stuff (make
clean). and after, there would have been quite a bit of NFS traffic.

I am a bit stumped now.  I have gone back to my old kernel so that I can
get some work done but I suppose I might be able to catch something by
starting a build under X and quickly swapping back to another console to
see if DDB says anything.

--
Doug Rabson, RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
					Phone: +44 71 251 4411