Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 17:10:18 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Lay <dave@netc.net.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SIGBUS under 2.2.2-RELEASE

I recently added 4MB RAM to my machine (Intel 486dx2-66 ISA/VLB) taking it
from 16MB to 20MB.  It's running 2.2.2-RELEASE, and I compiled a new
kernel with BOUNCE_BUFFERS enabled.

Since then I seem to be getting a lot of bus errors.  They occur mostly,
but not only, when I try to login.  If I manage to login I see from
/var/log/messages that it's my login shell, tcsh, that's getting SIGBUS.
I've also seen the C compiler terminate with SIGBUS, but it mainly seems
to affect tcsh.

I've also noticed that the bus errors occur more frequently once the
machine has been up a few days.  After a reboot I can usually login
succesasfuly straight away, but after two or three days, I get SIGBUS
on about 95% of all login attempts.

What exactly is a bus error (as opposed to a segmentation fault), and why
would I be getting so many of them now ?

--
David Lay
dave@netc.net.au