Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 09:35:35 +0200
From:      Chris Delnooz <chris@rhialto.cjb.net>
To:        Web Razter <webrazter@yahoo.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StartX or graphical login

It is said that on Monday 07 May 2001 19:23, Web Razter has spoken:
> I (once, I swear!) tried Linux Mandrake 7.0 and had a
> choice of a graphical login or regular login (althogh
> how I got from one to the other I don't remember). Can
> this be done in FreeBSD?
>
> If not, how do I get startx to run after the system
> has booted and I login from the shell?

in a startup script (i'm not yet familiar with the bsd ones, i'm a linux user
migrating to BSD) start the xdm or (if you use kde) kdm daemon, then you'll
have a true graphical login.. a line like:

<path-to-kde>/bin/kdm

or

/usr/local/bin/xdm

should be enough.. read the xdm and/or kdm for configuring the daemons (which
can be tricky sometimes, at least under linux it can ;-p

Chris Delnooz