Date:      Tue, 9 Aug 2016 09:48:17 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-usb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Digi Watchport/T temperature sensor as /dev/ttyU
References:  <1469306951.84197.31.camel@freebsd.org> <20160724080330.3a27e875.ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <20160724083859.4c0dd392@ernst.home> <20160724105134.184f0b7f.ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <1469379334.84197.40.camel@freebsd.org> <CAN6yY1tUg0GeNn6hkO9NPKyKO2z58erzOYT3PkYSQ1yiX0t0Gg@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfoVnZHmmvNcrJgaZ2k8o6e150LGFa0svufgodn6jeJu0Q@mail.gmail.com> <1469387555.84197.48.camel@freebsd.org> <20160809083654.25d2ac67@freyja.zeit4.iv.bundesimmobilien.de> <57A9DA8F.5000603@denninger.net> <20160809141054.GA47566@in-addr.com>

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 08:28:47AM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
>>
>> On 8/9/2016 01:36, O. Hartmann wrote:

>> > Now, that I know that I can not use any of our plenty Digi Watchport/T sensors
>> > with FreeBSD, I'm looking for a cheap alternative of sensor, prefereably being
>> > capable of taking temperature and humidity and being accessed as easy as a
>> > serial terminal - as the Digi Watchport/T does with Linux.
>> >
>> > I still have a "resistance" changing the OS of our infrastructure to Linux due
>> > to ZFS, but the very good support of drivers with the Linux OS is tempting ...
>>
>> Does hardware platform matter?  If not a very inexpensive alternative
>> set is found on Adafruit's site for the Raspberry Pi and FreeBSD can
>> easily talk to either some of the options directly or a cheap ($10)
>> 4-channel 12-bit analog board.  I am using this approach with the Pi2 as
>> a pool controller with multiple temperature inputs and drive (through a
>> relay board) to handle both the VFD-controlled pump motor and valves,
>> plus spa heater.
>
> If you go down that path the DS 18B20 is a digital temperature probe
> that can be tied to the GPIO pins on a PI and read from python
> quite easily.  Don't think it does humidity, but as the temp. probes
> have a hardware address you can hook multiple up to the same GPIO pin.

18B20 doesn't support humidity. The kernel also supports reading
it periodically and reporting the results via a sysctl now that we have
onewire support in the kernel. This has worked better for me than
reading them from Python...

> If you want humidity also then there is the DHT22 or DHT11, both
> of which can be tied to the PI but need a GPIO pin per sensor.  I
> haven't tried either of them personally.

Those work, but same here. I've not tried them personally.

Warner