Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:29:54 -0400
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Web cam solution

I am currently working on a project involving a single board computer
that, among other things, is supposed to grab images and upload them
into a database. Currently, I'm using an old Connectix QuickCam 2,
with the cqcam software. This works fine, but the problem is that
these cams are hard to find, and can't be placed very far from the
computer. So, I'm looking for another solution.

I was thinking of trying to find another QuickCam-like device,
but it seems that support for them is limited. Near as I can tell, all
the current QuickCam models don't work at all under FreeBSD. If
someone knows of one that is supported and is in production (so it can
be purchased easily) that would be helpful.

My other thought was to look for a frame grabber for PCMCIA or PC/104.
So far, I havn't been able to find anything for PC/104, and the only
PCMCIA card I've found is the IBM Smart Capture Card, which seems to
be out of production. Anyone have any thoughts on this? a good
suplier of the IBM cards perhaps? or a place that makes bt848/878
based PC/104 frame grabbers?

thanks in advance.

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP