Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:06:58 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config files in packages (Re: (proposal) new flag for pkg_delete)

--u65IjBhB3TIa72Vp

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 03:14:28PM -0400, The Anarcat wrote:

> Debian adopted what I think is an elegant solution to this
> problem. The configuration files are marked as such in the
> package. When deinstalling, you must explicitely ask it if you want
> the configuration files to be removed.

Most well-written packages install a sample config file, copy it to
the real config file if one does not exist (and it is appropriate to
do so), then only remove the real config file at deinstall time iff it
does not differ from the sample config file.  See any number of port
plists for the implementation of this.

Kris
--u65IjBhB3TIa72Vp

--u65IjBhB3TIa72Vp--