Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 09:32:28 +0800 (CCT)
From:      Ronald Wiplinger <ronald@linkou.trace.com.tw>
To:        Eddie Fry <eddie@eaznet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spam mail

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Eddie Fry wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I just saw a .signature on the internet that may be usefull in stopping
> spam mail.  Here it is.  Do you think this would stand up in small
> claims court???

> Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Sec. 227,
> any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is
> subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
> E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.
>
> Eddie

I do not see here a way to stop it. The USA law is not valid outside. If
you would like to enforce it though it cost you a lots more money and
effort than just press the delete key. Beside this, I cannot imagine to
sue an "e-mail", maybe even faked e-mail. An postal address you would not
get anyway.

Another example is "really damaging". I had a hacker in my system, I
traced him back to the University in Estland. The result: 12000 US$ damage
on my site, both students got suspended said the Universities "newspaper
editor" (who knows if real). You have no real chance to get here something
back. 12000 US$ is a real damage, an unsolicite e-mail is not really an
damage, beside the anger and connection fee, most of the US sites have
unlimited, so remains only the lowest phone rate on earth.

I would like to see something that really help. Something like block a
site, ... However even here it is difficult. As more users you get as more
chance you have to get a spamer. Why should 99.99% users be punished for
one a**** ? The second is, that many spamer do not use their own e-mail,
most of them fake the senders address and/or relay them through.
Frankly speaking I would not be able to find somebody who used my
providers station as relay with a fake address of my station. My provider
is "government", so the help is very limited.

I guess the better way of the future will be, that you CANNOT send e-mails
without 100% identification. Than maybe the USA law can be enforced even
abroad.

... just my thinking, ...

bye

Ronald