Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:21:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended SCSI Drives

Recently Cliff Addy said:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, spork wrote:

> > Anyone else here need to stuff lots of machines in a small space ?
> > What case do you use?  How do you keep things cool?

> It's not an option for most folks, but we just mount our servers
> on plywood, no case at all, just set them on a shelf.  Also allows
> us to swap out hardware *real* easy.  Seems to work just fine and
> dandy.

Believe it or not, depending on the board layout, the population of
the board, etc., you could be in worse shape with no case.

A "PROPERLY DESIGNED" (note those words carefully) case will direct
the flow through the boards and around the drives.

With no case you can have the problem of 'spot heating' in between
boards if no air is ducted through them.   Your system sounds like
it would be ideal for a test setup.  eg testing boards, etc, trying
out new things, but I think it could be problematic in a
production system.

That being said I saw the network that a friend of mine runs.
Their inteface to the net is an old 486, with no case, but with a
5" muffin fan hanging from a wire blowing directly onto the hard
drive and boards.

Having no case does NOT elminate the need for fans.  I see that
more and more 'server cases' are now being deisgned properly.

The 'PC model' has a power supply that blows air out.  That mean it
sucks air in through every opening, and using the Bernouli
prinicpal the smaller openings have a higher velocity and tend to
collect more dirt.

This means you have dirty sockets (of course we've done away with
socketed parts anymore) that don't work when you put a chip in
them, floppy drives that don't work because of 6 months worth of
dirty air blowing across them, and on and on.

Good engineering practice dictates sucking air into a system
through a filter inlet and the result is that the case is
pressurized.  I've opening up a few of that type that had been in
service for years - and they were very mildly dusty.  OTOH the
stock PCs get so fouled/filled with dirt after a couple of years
you could probably start a garden.

Bill
--
bill@bilver.magicnet.net | bill@bilver.com