Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 17:12:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "Bruce R. Montague" <brucem@cruzio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA CS5530 (cyrix) driver panic (ata_cyrix_setmode())

Hi
I didn;t see the original problem, just the reply..
Just one thing to be aware of when using the 5530.

I used a 5530 on the Interjet-II.

It has a terrible bug where it fails if the data being transferred
to/from the disk by DMA is not alligned on a 16 byte boundary. programs
such as newfs and fsck would sometimes make this happen when accessing a
raw drive. This was not in the manual at that time, and I don't know if
Soeren has the code to check for this. Such transffers must be done
using PIO. This may be a red-herring..

(the symptom was that it would never complete the transfer and would
hang the bus.)