Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:47:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        andreas@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas.klemm.ak@bayer-ag.de
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network monitor/visu tool that displays traffic between nodes ?

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> I'm looking for a network monitor that displays traffic between
> several nodes to easily see the "top 10" of speakers in a network

/usr/ports/net/ntop

> I remember a network analyzer, but source code wasn't available
> and the binaries were only available for some platforms.
>
> Nodes were drawn around a circle and the traffic between nodes
> was shown by a line between the nodes and traffic was shown by
> thickness of line.

NetXray has this functionality and runs in Windows NT (and is rather
expensive might I add).

> If there isn't a network monitor, that does this kind of visualisation,
> is there a tool, that could show this traffic relationship between
> nodes based on collected statistics in an ASCII file ???

ntop may be able to dump, not sure. also the commercial product lanstat
which is on the freebsd.org webserver somewhere under 'commercial
products' does similar (but more in depth) things like ntop.

All 3 are good at what they do, and I use all 3 of them fairly regularly.

- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -