Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 20:53:09 +0000
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Same old pccard probs

Warner,

  Let's see if I can clear at least some of this up.  First off, the dmesg
concerning this card...

pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
pcib1: <PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=0e11 device=ae6c)> at device 0.1 on pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <S3 ViRGE MX graphics accelerator> at 0.0
pcic0: <TI PCI-1250 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x7fffe000-0x7fffefff irq 11 at
device 12.0 on pci0
pcic0: Polling mode
pcic0: TI12XX PCI Config Reg: [speaker enable][pwr save][CSC serial isa irq]
pccard0: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
pcic1: <TI PCI-1250 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x7ffff000-0x7fffffff irq 11 at
device 12.1 on pci0
pcic1: Polling mode
pcic1: TI12XX PCI Config Reg: [speaker enable][pwr save][CSC serial isa irq]
pccard1: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic1
pccard: card inserted, slot 1
ed0 at port 0x300-0x31f irq 9 slot 1 on pccard1
ed0: address 00:e0:98:7c:4d:e3, type Linksys (16 bit)
lxtphy0: <LXT970 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
lxtphy0:  100baseFX, 100baseFX-FDX, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX,
100baseTX-FDX, auto

  Within the text below some more specific replies to your questions.

On Sunday 23 September 2001 03:15 am, Warner Losh wrote:
> OK.  I'm not sure I understand the sequence of events here.  You are
> using ISA interrupts, yes?  If so, then you are using the same
> interrupt as something else and need to pick another one.  If you are
> using PCI, read on...

  I'm using PCI, so I'm a reading on.

> Ah, the ed driver has a problem if dhclient runs too quickly.  You'll
> see timeouts (or if you are unlucky, hangs).  dhclient often gives me
> an error sometimes when I run it (Can't assign requested address).
> The reboot problem is "known" to happen on some machines with some
> cards (or on some machines ALL cards, no rhyme or reason that I can
> see between working and non-working systems).

  I don't believe the timeouts and dhclient are related.  Depending on where
I have this laptop I am either running as a DHCP client, or I am statically
assigning the network attributes.  Either way, I still see ed0 timeouts.

> :   I tried a buildworld from a cvsup from last night just to see if I'd
> : missed something.  Nope, no difference.  In reading some of the other
> : posts on this list, it seems that there's some other folks with very
> : similar sets of bugs being reported.  If there's any information I can
> : provide from this end to assist with this please let me know.
>
> Well, the ed0 timeout errors from dhclient can be eliminated with the
> latest pccard_ether, since I put a small delay in there to "fix" this
> problem.

  Before I try another build I'll triple check that setting static has no
effect on whether or not ed0 timeouts occur.  I don't think it has, nor am I
of the belief that an additional delay setting is a likely fix.  As I stated
earlier, I don't normally even see the ed0 timeouts until the first time I
attempt a use of the card.
  For example.  Machine freshly booted from a power down, static IP set.
I'll see the pccardd get started in the dmesg, but no errors.  Log in, and
then attempt a ping on some site.  It hesitates for a bit, then 3 ed0 timeout
messages, then the pings start going through properly.  From that point
forward I will no longer see any ed0 timeouts.  My only indication that
something is wrong after that is when I go to halt.
  With the machine set to act as a DHCP client, things are a little bit
different.  Before I log in I'll usually see a proper notice of the DHCP
settings being assigned, then followed by dhclient errors.  Each error is
displayed 3 times.  Then I usually either get the ed0 errors then, or not at
all after that.
  It looks like the ed0 is sleeping, then is slow to wake up once nudged by
accessing it.  On the shutdown, it doesn't want to go back to sleep.  Well,
that's how it looks! :)

Later on,
--
"A short saying often contains much wisdom."
 -Sophocles