Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:55:43 +0300
From:      Vadim Kolontsov <vadim@tversu.ru>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel/syslogd hack

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 01:51:15AM +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> >    Of course this patch doesn't solve problem with syslog/514 UDP. I
> >    know it
>
> Have you looked at ssyslog from the guys in Brazil ? It takes the opposite
> approach by making the trusted machine download in a secure way the logs
> from each machine.

  Yes, I tried it. It tries to make network transfer secure, but does
nothing for local logs (gathered via UNIX domain socket).

  And their solution isn't best for real-time analyzing: it doesn't send
logs string by string (or at least nK-buffer by buffer). You can, of course,
configure it to download logs to log server every 2 minutes, and analyze them
then..
  And it deletes local logs after uploading to log server :) (this behaviour
can be changed, probably)

  But I think that ssyslog is good thing, anyway :)

Regards,
V.

P.S. I'm amazed - it seems that nobody (except ssyslogd and nsyslog people)
is working on more reliable/secure syslog replacement.. may be because
the whole protocol should be changed..
--
Vadim Kolontsov
Tver Internet Center NOC