Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:15:04 +0100
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re[3]: CURRENT as of today won't let me login via ssh, MySQL crashes

Hi Gabriel Ambuehl,
you wrote.

MR>> non-PAM password authentication is now disabled by default. You probably
MR>> installed a new sshd_config during mergemaster. Change
MR>> #PasswordAuthentication no

MR>> in
MR>> PasswordAuthentication yes

MR>> and do a /etc/rc.d/sshd restart.

GA> Well that box has got config files from the 5.2.1RC2 ISO, so quite
GA> recent, and no changes aside of rc.conf to get it to fit into the LAN.

GA> I'll give a shot at cvsupping again, now.

The problem persists, but adding
PasswordAuthentication yes
helps.

However, if this is a system user, then why won't PAM pick it up
automatically? And why will the box let me login with
ssh user@localhost

Seems like this just waits to bite people's asses (the box in question
stands 1m beside me, but I don't want to imagine what would happen if
it were on another continent...).

Regards,
Gabriel