Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:08:12 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing onto IBM ThinkPad 750

> I'm trying to install 2.2.6-RELEASE onto a ThinkPad 750.  Although the
> kernel config editor works correctly, sysinstall doesn't.  I presume the
> problem is related to the ThinkPad keyboard handling.
>
> Does anyone have a 2.2.6 (or similar) boot floppy that's compatible
> with the 750?  Alternatively, how can I build a boot floppy without
> going through the entire `build a release' process?  Looking thru
> the archives, I found something from HOSOKAWA Tatsumi in 1995, but
> things have obviously changed since then, because it doesn't work.

>From the "trouble" help text:

Q: I booted the install floppy on my IBM ThinkPad (tm) laptop, and the
   keyboard is all messed up.

A: Older IBM laptops use a non-standard keyboard controller, so you must
   tell the console driver (sc0) to go into a special mode which works
   on the ThinkPads.  Change the sc0 'Flags' to 0x10 in UserConfig and
   it should work fine.  (Look in the Input Menu for 'Syscons Console
   Driver'.)