Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 08:57:17 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Subject:   Re: Union and Portal FSs

As Brian J. McGovern wrote:

> Just out of curiousity, how "decayed" are the Union and Portal
> filesystems,and, more importantly, is anyone working on them?

Kazu did quite some work on unionfs, and i think it's basically usable
these days.  There are still some odds in it (which i'm not sure of
whether they can be easily resolved), like an open attempt with write
intent will yield an EROFS if the lower layer is a read/only
filesystem.

UFS union mounts ("mount -o union /dev/fd0 /somewhere") seem to have a
different set of problems.  I've got this one basically to work, in an
attempt to mount a writable floppy over a read/only CD-ROM /etc, but
when i recently tried under -current with a lower-layer NFS, the
writes went through into the lower layer, ick. :(

No idea on portals...

--
cheers, J"org