Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 11:55:12 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Brad Waite <brad@ssbaptist.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More large drive install q's

Brad Waite wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> First off, thanks for all the suggestions so far.
>
> The only way I've been able to get 4.0 to boot on my 40gig IDE is to NOT
> dangerously dedicate the drive to FBSD.  If I do dedicate it, the install goes
> fine, but it just won't boot.  I suppose the obvious answer is, "Well just
> don't dangerously dedicate the drive to FBSD," but I'm curious why this is
> happening.  As a side note, if fdisk creates a 'true partition entry', it
> leaves about 500MB at the end o' the drive unallocated, and no matter what I
> try, it won't let me add it to the slice.  Can anyone explain these issues?
>
> Heh.  And here I thought I knew something about FBSD's dealings w/disks.  :)

I got into this problem when I first started using FreeBSD in 1999. It
came down to the bios not recognizing the drive in DD mode. You could
watch it count the memory and then it would do an inquire on the
drives but the drives never gave the response it wanted and it just
sat there. I wondered if this was at the time the bios was recognizing
the size of the drive but in DD mode that drive may not know how big
it is. At the time I had 3 HD's with about 11GB of space and none of
them could be DD.

Leave the DOS LBA mbr on the HD and the system was happy and would
boot. I ended up continuing to do that because when I pull a drive
out, it may go onto a Windows based system and I don't have to play
with it on FreeBSD before I remove it.

Kent

> -Brad

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html