Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 05:29:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Remski <remski@ellacoya.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP & named oddity

Hi all.
I have a small network (3 machines) running on 192.168. addresses,
outside connection is 56K modem.  I'm starting both named and userland
ppp at boottime.  ppp.conf is basically the one that gets installed,
with the enable dns line commented out and the username, phonenumber and
password set.  I then have a cron job that runs fetchmail every 4 hours
or so to pull down mail.  After a time (maybe a day or so), ppp never
dials out.  If I kill -9 and restart it stays ok for awhile again.
ppp is started with -nat -auto -quiet papchap
named just resolves my three machines.
netstat -rn shows the default route pointing out thru tun0.
ppp.linkdown has an iface clear in it.

ps ax when this is happening does not show anything unusual about ppp.
kernel has the IPDIVERT/IPFIREWALL and NETGRAPH options in it (I am not
running natd, I'm letting ppp handle that)

Any suggestions of what to look at greatly appreciated.

Michael Remski
Software Engineer
mremski@ellacoya.com
7 Henry Clay Drive