Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:57:53 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@nwserv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unable to build 4.0-stable kernel

"Sameer R. Manek" wrote:

> I've been unable to build a kernel since Saturday afternoon.
> I even tried the new recommended procedures.

Make sure your object tree *and* your source tree are clean (ie no stale
files). Re-cvsup if necessary. Double-check your /etc/make.conf. Also
try a GENERIC kernel if a custom kernel fails.

A make buildworld followed by a make buildkernel should work if the
environment is "clean". If it continues to fail, collect as much
relevant information as possible (this includes anything you have been
trying to get it to build for the last couple of days) and post it to
-stable.

Please, don't assume we made an error, it might be pilot error as well.
We certainly have a lot of false signals about failing kernel compiles
lately that we tend to think it's pilot error anyway. Use tact to
convince us otherwise, we're only human :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org