Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:44:20 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/11987: vacation(1) documentation and error logging both suck

In message <19990610183419.B1476@mad>, you wrote:

>Looks good.  Assuming no objections from Ronald, do you want to commit
>this, Sheldon, or shall I?

Works for me.

>One other thing....  OpenBSD checks for a Return-Path header in
>addition to a From header.  Is this a good thing or a bad thing?  I
>don't know my RFC well enough.

No, I think that any respectable MTA should be able to just generate
an ordinary/traditional From_ header.

(Excuse me if that sounds like a sendmail-centric view.  It probably is.)

>Ah, there's a malloc() in there, too, that just exits without an error
>message.  Easy to fix that, too (not that malloc() should often fail
>when running vacation(1)... :-).

Don't count on it.

I have gotten some _really_ unexpected failures from vacation(1) recently.
Sendmail has occasionally bounced stuff back with "Cannot fork".

It turns out that at the exact moments when people were sending mail
messages to that specific account (which had a vacation(1) autoresponder
configured for it) I was also logged in to the same account and had
jacked up the maxproc-cur, just so I could run some process-intensive
things.  But the _other_ sessions (e.g. the one running vacation1(1))
were still limited to the default maxproc-cur, which was much lower
that the number of processes that I already had going over in the other
session, so I was getting these weird fork failures.

The moral of the story is just this:  Don't assume you won't bang up against
various limits.  Users sometimes do the weirdest things, and then you _do_
hit them.

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- FREE Web Harvester Protection - http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/ - Try it!