Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 02:27:20 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This just in: Microsoft/Sears Merger

On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 03:08:19PM -0500, spork wrote:

> The thing that befuddles me is that as long as I've used *nix, I've always
> thought command-completion was the coolest thing.  When I downloaded the
> first windows version of netscape where it completes the URL field for
> you, I was thrilled.  This feature *still* doesn't exist in the X
> versions...  I feel sooo cheated.

Actually, I find the URL completion to be completely annoying.  I always
find that the machine prefers a particular completion for any given URL,
so, for example, typing "www.pobo" yields
"http://www.pobox.com/~gsutter/papers/gcc.html", when that is a
climatography paper that I wrote, that I hardly ever want to see.

Even more annoying is how it doesn't erase what it has completed if
you continue typing; as long as what you type matches its pattern, it
will leave it up there.  So if I complete
"http://www.pobox.com/~gsutter/", then hit enter, it will still give
me the gcc.html link instead of just sending me to ~gsutter.

If there was an option controlling it, I would instantly turn it off.
The "feature" is not worth the trouble.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                     My reality check just bounced.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com