Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:56:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, dyson@freebsd.org, dtc@scrooge.ee.swin.oz.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request to add this to FAQ re: swap space

> Joe Greco wrote in message ID
> <199610291827.MAA24642@brasil.moneng.mei.com>:
> > I am still waiting to hear how to get 256MB RAM on a motherboard reliably.
> > :-)
>
> Since our news box here has 256Mb, it's easy :-) 4 64Mb SIMMS on a
> Tyan Titan Pro P6 motherboard work fine...
>
> > I would really like to get 512MB RAM on one of these boards.
>
> I want to get 512Mb RAM in our news box, but I doubt I will *sigh* If
> nothing else, I think the kernel needs tweeks when you go to that size
> (David?)

You will want to increase your maximum process size...

#options                "MAXDSIZ=(256UL*1024*1024)"
options         "MAXDSIZ=268435456UL"
#options                "DFLDSIZ=(192UL*1024*1024)"
options         "DFLDSIZ=201326592UL"

You probably want to raise DK_NDRIVE and a few other "less important but
mildly annoying" parameters as well, such as MSG_BSIZE.

I usually stick sysctl -w kern.update=300 > /dev/null  in /etc/rc.local.

Much of the rest should be obvious.

... JG