Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:32:49 GMT
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Subject:   Re: MIME applications for FreeBSD

At 8:38 am -0000 13/2/97, John Birrell wrote:
>[...]
>We are prevented from reverse engineering by the licence for msword
>(I guess, since other MS products have that clause). MS is unlikely
>to publicly document Word file format. [etc]

They certainly don't seem to. Maybe reverse engineering is unnecessary:
WordPad groks Word 6 format, and the source is in among the samples on the
MSVC4.2 CD.

Also 3rd-party converters between Word6 and <what you like> are available
(and referenced in MS developer materials). Maybe the developers had to pay
a fat licence fee.

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK