Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:58:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Fisher <mfisher@harborcom.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hard drive mount problems

I am running a FreeBSD 2.2.2-Stable system (last update and make world
9/4).  It has been working like a charm up until this morning.  I tried to
do a reboot, and got the following message after the kernel loaded
successfully (initialized all the devices, etc):

/dev/sd0a on /: Operation not permitted
Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted.

I can fsck all my partitions, but they will not mount (not even
read-only).  Is there any way that I can render the system usable again?
I have backups, but would REALLY prefer to be able to do some command that
will magically fix it.

To my knowledge I haven't done anything to the system that would cause any
problems mounting the sd0 partitions. (I was trying to allow easier access
so that I could mount /dev/fd0 as a non-root user)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
--
Mike
"I swear - by my life and by my love of it - that I will never live