Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 01:21:31 +0900
From:      "James Akiba (from laptop)" <jim@giganet.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: first commands and stuff

>>> I've been using UNIX for 12 years now, and I still haven't used all
>>> the commands.  Isn't it nice to have a system that you don't grow out
>>> of?
>>
>> That's sad from one point of a view.

I really think that this was poorly phrased unless it was intended as an
attack, I will hope that it wasn't since I think none of us subscribe to
this listserv to listen to anyone attack others, or simply boast about
their own abilities (whatever they should be)

ENOUGH of that... in regards to some of the command suggestions brought
up... as I understand it (being a week old newbie as I am) UNIX gurus
wouldn't be caught dead using an editor like ee (with it's *gasp* menus
etc.) All of the guys here at work use vi... and as they try to help me
(like when I was building my first custom kernel) they would always open up
vi and start FLYING through things.... lines would literally disappear,
reappear, the cursor would jump around the screen like a bee on crack...
and when the flurry was over... I would have no clue what I just saw, and
would be too embarrased to ask... They say: "wakkata?" ... I say: "Uh...
oh... yeah... thanks..."  So what do you folks think... is it worth it to
learn vi over ee?  Is it much more powerful or flexible than say ee?

>Much of this material is already covered quite nicely in Greg's book.
>Why do we need to create more documentation that won't be read?  I
>guess it may get read because it will be free (poor Greg, his royalties
>may fall off).

Speaking for myself, I am really glad to see this start... I am working in
Japan, and the price of the book is... I am sure... high (if available
without having to order from an int'l store)... any help I can get for free
and online is greatly appreciated! Besides there is something about helping
people you don't know, I get alot out of it(in regards to my areas NOT
freeBSD hehe) ... can't pinpoint it, but it is one of my favorite parts of
being "online" :) And if I find Greg's book and it won't deprive me of my
next meal or rent money I'll be sure to pick it up... BTW could someone
with the book give me any details (ISBN# publisher, etc)

-Jim

PS  what the heck is "nethack"? I have no man pages for it... sounds great
anyways... hehe