Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:06:57 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Query:  How to tell if Microsoft is using BSD TCP/IP code?

Peter wrote:

> However, Gates said, "there are problems for commercial users relative to the
> (GNU General Public License), and we are just making sure people understand the
> GPL."
>
> end Quote.

But the issue is that wasn't the end of the quotation. Later on, Bubba says,

"And so people should understand the GPL. When people say open source,
they often mean the GPL."

In the past, the line from Microsoft has been reduced publicly to "Open
source is bad because the GPL is viral." They are trying to tar
non-GPLed open source projects with the same FUDdy brush.

So I think pointing out areas where they don't live by their own FUD is
a very important thing to do.