Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 17:05:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, nate@mt.sri.com, proff@suburbia.net, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internal clock

> *old-timer-advice-mode-on*
>
> As my pappy used to say, you can have *anything* you want in life, you
> just can't have *everything* you want.  So, if you want to be as rich as
> Bill Gates, you can be.  But, in the process you will probably also be
> as despised as he is, because in the path to get there he stepped on
> alot of people, offended most of his early partners, and basically gave
> up on having a 'normal' life/family.
>
> Sure, you can have that if you want, but you have to give up alot of
> other things you want in life.
>
> *old-timer-advice-mode-off*
>
> You can have anything you want Terry, you just can't have everything.
> You want everything, and I'm sorry to be the one that breaks it to you
> but it ain't gonna happen.

Who said I wanted to be as rich as Bill Gates?  You were the one
putting forth "as rich as Bill Gates" as a measure of success or
failure of a given approach to solving a particular problem.

> > Software does not mutate.
>
> You've never been involved with 'Real' software projects then, and again
> are showing your ignorance of how the real world does things.
>
> When you gonna enter the real world?

When you send me one of your nifty CDROMs where the bits apparently
change over time (how does you-all get 'way with callin' dem "ROMs"?).

It's the responsibility of the person who implements the new kernel
interface to make code which uses the old kernel interface continue
to work.  If the interface is clean, even if it's out-dated, the
conversion should be trivial.

See my "pee in the public pool" analogy, or, if you need it, I can
provide a "toybox" or "vomit" analogy as a replacement.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---