Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:28:06 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chatfield <jdc@xinside.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AccelX (was Re: 2.2-GAMMA problems)

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> Same. The CD is shipped with both versions too. I succeeded in installing
> 2.1.6 (yeah I know, i'll upgrade this machine to 2.2 when it ships. The
> machine is behind our firewall anyway).

I've seen the advisory, too.  Seems to me that the bug only represents a
problem when user accounts are permitted on the machine.  I'm planning
on using 2.1.6 as a proxy and packet filter, so I think that'll be
safe.  No user accounts on those systems, so there's no way to mess up a
locale.  I plan on upgrading, in any case.

> Now, if someone could show me how to get 1152x800 (not x900) to work with
> AccelX. I use this mode under XFree86 and want it under AccelX as well.

Not supported in the current release.  We have asked our accelx-users
mailing list if they wanted 1152x864.  I think that's the mode you want,
since it provides square pixels (an exact 4x3).  We originally chose the
1152x900 for compatibility with workstation resolutions.  We will
probably change from 1152x900 to 1152x864 in a forthcoming release.
Since many PC graphics boards claim 1152x864, and there seems to be
relatively little real interest in 1152x900 vs a move to 1152x864, we're
thinking that a move makes sense for our customers.  Few will notice the
36 line change, unless they've started applications with '-geometry
+800' or something, to make a application rest exactly with the bottom
aligned with the the display.  It's probably better to use '-geometry
-100' in those conditions, to make sure that whatever the resolution,
the application gets positioned to the bottom edge.

Cheers, JeremyC.
--
Jeremy Chatfield,    Phone: +1 303/298-7478    FAX:+1 303/298-1406
  Commercial X Products - for sales/support/information please try: