Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 1997 11:44:38 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        nsayer@quack.kfu.com (Nick Sayer), freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/2538: worm burning suddenly broken

>As Nick Sayer wrote:
>
>> This bug still happens with 4020i firmware rev 1.27
>> and with 2.2-RELEASE. It turns out that removing
>> AHC_TAGENABLE appears to fix this (A dummy burn is
>> proceeding without incident so far).
>
>Hmm.  Does this now mean the HP4020i doesn't grok tagged command
>queuing, or does this rather point to a bug in the ahc driver?

I think he should not be using the 2.2R driver.  I'm ignoring all
2.2R driver bug reports since they are not against the latest
version of the driver in the 2.2 branch.  I still think there are
bugs in there and as soon as this motherboard shows up form my
8 disk "kill Justin's driver" box, I'll go back to flushing them out.

As for the tagged queueing thing, I would expect that the HP4020i is
not even a tagged queueing device, and that it is the mixed tagged/
non-tagged bug I fixed just after 2.2R that is causing his problem (his
drives are probably tag capable).

>I think we should finally implement the `no tagged queuing' scsiconf
>option to allow this decision on a per-device basis.  Justin and/or
>Stefan, how difficult would this be?

Nothing is too difficult to do.  After all, it's only software.  I'd
rather not add it right now since I'm knee deep in the new CAM system
and it will support it cleanly and right.  To make this work quickly
in 2.2 and previous, you'd need to add the quirk and also a mechanism for
each controller to query it so it could turn off the tag stuff.  Sine the
new mechanism has the generic SCSI layer tell the controller driver when
to tag or not, its much cleaner.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations