Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 08:30:28 -0400
From:      David Fehrenbacher <dlf@tatnet.com>
To:        David Langford <langfod@maui.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, philip@adhesivemedia.com, jonc@pinnacle.co.nz, sos@freebsd.dk, danielh@privat.toplink.de, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache/PHP/Oracle8...

Believe me, I'm with all of you guys on the need to get a native Oracle
on FreeBSD.  I too, hate having to select "Linux" in the drop down
software boxes on web sites.  While I think that collecting names/emails
in support is a good idea, we all need to look a little more closely at
how Linux got all of the attention - they built a brand first, with
"branded" and co-branded recognition all over the place, which made it
impossible for the larger software companies NOT to pay attention.  Some
of the stuff the FreeBSD project is doing in Advocacy is right on
target, and I for one will be helping out wherever I can.

Having said that - does anybody have a rough estimate as to how many
copies of Oracle for Linux have been sold? (sold, not downloaded) - I
know that's probably not easy info to get, but a relatively hard number
(or good guess) is where you might begin to develop your push into
convincing Oracle to release for FreeBSD (using petitions, whatever).
My brother is going to work for Oracle in Reston, VA - I'll nag him
every chance I get for some rough estimates.

I'd give my eye teeth to get the Oracle/PHP/Apache thing going on
FreeBSD.

-David Fehrenbacher

--
tatnet, inc.
Tel: 410.571.9462   |   Fax: 410.571.9442