Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2019 06:23:49 -0500
From:      "Garance A Drosehn" <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Conrad Meyer" <cem@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speculative: Rust for base system components

On 1 Jan 2019, at 19:35, Conrad Meyer wrote:

> Hi Garance,
>
> On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 3:18 PM drosih <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote:
>> Brian's simple experiment is a simple experiment.  It's interesting,
>> but hardly the definitive word in evaluating a language.
>
> Sure, that's fair enough.  On the other hand, it matches every other
> report of the compiler and language I've heard, even from advocates of
> the language.  Compiler performance was on the Rust roadmap for 2017
> (incremental rebuilds added during 2017) and 2018:
>
> https://blog.rust-lang.org/2017/02/06/roadmap.html
> https://blog.rust-lang.org/2018/03/12/roadmap.html
>
> In particular I think the Rust 2018 community survey (URL below) is
> informative.  Scroll to the figure just above "Many non-users
> responded that they did want to learn Rust, but there were factors
> that slowed them down."  Leading reasons for people who had used Rust
> but no longer did were: (1) Rust is too intimidating, too hard to
> learn, or too complicated; (3) Rust doesn't solve a problem for me;
> and (6) Switching to Rust would slow me down too much.  One of the top
> 10 free-form comments for November 2018 is "improve compile times."
> It's still a problem.
>
> https://blog.rust-lang.org/2018/11/27/Rust-survey-2018.html

There was a lot of good information in this message, including the
parts I have deleted just to keep this message reasonably short.
Thanks!

So my gut reaction to this is that it seems too early for the freebsd
project to make any significant commitment to rust.  Some of us could
get more experience with it, and then maybe we could reconsider it
in a year or two.  It's frustrating that these things take so much
time to evaluate, but that's just the way it is.  It takes a lot of
work (and thus a lot of time) for a new language to catch up with
all the time which has been put into compilers for established
languages.

I've also found some of the videos for explaining Rust to be rather
intimidating, even when done by developers in the Rust community.
But I do think it's trying a lot of interesting new ideas for a
systems-programming language, and thus I hope to gain some more
experience with it for myself.  Now I just need to find some copious
spare time that I can devote to that!

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     drosih@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org