Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 19:46:46 -0400
From:      Josh Littlefield <josh@American.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM driver support now part of FreeBSD-current

> I've recently brought Serge Vakulenko's IDE CDROM driver into
> -current, and it can be easily enabled by dropping the following into
> your kernel configuration file:

> Please help Serge and us test this driver with your IDE CDROM drives!

I don't expect you to take this very far (you'll see why below), but I thought
I should report what I found.  Feel free to flog me of this is stupid or
irrelevant.

I've been wanting this ATAPI support for a while, so I decided to grab it.
But I was not in a position to install FreeBSD-current.  So I decided to stuff
it into 2.0.5-RELEASE.  Seemed like it should work for just getting to a
CD-ROM.

Anyway, I probably never get to this code because the device discovery never
detects my IDE controller (wdcX).  It never has, but I never cared before.
You see, I have a pretty stupid, somewhat atypical setup.  My primary disk is
SCSI, and my only IDE device is a Sony ATAPI CD-ROM.  The CD-ROM is the
primary device at the second controller configuration (I/O 170, IRQ 15).  wdc0
and wdc1 are never discovered.

I tried reversing the I/O and IRQ of wdc0 and wdc1 in the config file so it
probes the second one first, but got the same result.

The only reason I bother sending this (since if I was in your shoes I'd be
inclined to disregard someone working with a home-spun release), is on the
chance that this is a problem others might see in the 2.1 code.  That is, is
there some assumption that there will be a real disk on the IDE controller
which pre-empts noticing a cdrom there?

For what its worth, I grabbed wd.c, wcd.c, atapi.c, and atapi.h.  I stuffed
the wcd entries into bdevsw and cdevsw, at 19 and 69 respectively, modified
files.i386, devices.i386, MAKEDEV, etc.  As far as I can tell none of this
matters until the wdc controller is recognized.

-josh