Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:27:10 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        behanna@zbzoom.net, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jim@siteplus.net
Subject:   Re: 4.1-RELEASE pccard?

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:35:39AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20001003182926.M1786@moose.bri.hp.com> Steve Roome writes:
> : I know what the MAC address is supposed to be! I've been through all
> : of the cards attribute memory but can't find it. It was about a month
> : back now, but the only MAC address that works was not anywhere within
> : the cards memory that I could see.
>
> I recall seeing a syntax for this in pccardd.  Hmmm, hold I while I
> check...
>
> OK.  Looks like normal FreeBSD's ether statement doesn't allow one to
> directly set the NIC address.

Yeah, I thought the PAO one did this, but I didn't investigate it
because although I expect it's great I preferred to go with a more
vanilla install.

> : That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as surely it has to either be
> : in there somewhere or perhaps (unlikely?) coded somehow, but I
> : certainly couldn't find it at all. Which is why I opted for the nasty
> : hack.
>
> For the Ed cards (ne-2000 and clones), the NIC address is usually in a
> ROM that the NIC chip reads and presents to the driver writer in a
> number of I/O ports (yes, I'm being vague, because the details vary
> somewhat).

I could read some specs and try to fix it I suppose, but in the end,
it works right now, I don't understand enough kernel code, and I'm
slightly uneasy to mess with it as it's for my most important customer
- the girlfriend! =)

> : I know it looks really stupid, but honestly I didn't step lightly into
> : hardcoding my MAC address before really trying very hard to use the
> : ether offset option!
>
> I understand that.  I'm just trying to understand the type of card
> that you have.

It's a "trust 10/100MB" card. I disposed of the packaging a bit quickly
perhaps, obviously with the current wiring situation finding the chips
on it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I don't think my solution will necessarily solve Thomas'
original problem with his card, but might be worth a shot.

> : I'll give anything else a go to find it properly as I'd rather have a
> : less ugly hack... Although...  the net card itself had a dodgy cable
> : converter (the thing that goes from RJ45 <-> PCcard-whatever it is 15
> : pin connector) so I've soldered a RJ45 female connector directly onto
> : the pccard pcb. I wasn't expecting this to work as I've not got the
> : most precise soldering iron!
>
> Hmmm, well, I wouldn't laugh at that.  You should see one of my
> 3C589D's that does exactly the same thing.  It even works, so long as
> I don't move it too much.

Well, it's slightly rigged and I laughed when it first worked. =)

> : Stop laughing! It's been on 24/7 for a month since with no problems
> : other than a dieing LCD screen. It makes a great router/mail server at
> : home.
>
> I've often thought about doing this myself.  The trouble is that I
> don't have a spare laptop to dedicate to this.  I just moved my router
> world over to a tiny 486DX2 (amd) from a large 486DX2-66 (intel).  The
> tiny system takes up less space than most laptops, except maybe a
> libretto 50CT!

This laptop is some sort of mish mash of parts someone donated to the
other half. The screen doesn't work anymore which is why it's only
really ever going to be a router. It's nice to use a laptop though as
it's what I consider to be the right sort of size for the task.

It's a P133 anyway, so no use for Windows/MS Office work, and I can't
see myself actually needing a FreeBSD laptop, no matter how trendy
some people may think it is, I don't really see the need to carry
something like that around. I already have a Palm V that I don't
really use, (except as a serial console for the laptop!) I don't think
I should invest in more stuff to (not) carry about!

	Steve