Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 23:34:49 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@asstdc.com.au>
To:        dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk (Developer)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating BSDI 1.1 Passwords

> Okay, so you ban all UK sites from suping the crypto source, but it
> becomes pretty pointless - you would have to remove it from the ftp sites
> as well or hack the ftp daemon.

It most certainly is *not* pointless - _responsible_ people abide by the
law as far as they are able.

> The all UK users have to do is get someone in the us to email it to them,
> or use a US account and then transfer it from there to the UK.

And in so doing, you may be _responsible_ (there's that word again) for the
removal of someone's liberty. Export of cryptographic software from the US
is a punishable offence.

I don't wish to argue the politics of this since I think we all agree that
the legislation it falls under is _way_ out of date, however, it _is_ the
law and _is_ enforceable. Until that changes (and we all hope that it's
sooner rather than later), please protect other peoples' freedom by
respecting the laws under which they must live.

> Still, you are not gaining anything - the crypto sources will appear on
> non us sites, which means they have been exported somehow.

If you cared to read the copyrights and headers in the non-US versions, they
were written _outside_ the US .. some of it in Australia, other parts in
Europe and South Africa.

> Is there not a decent sup site for freebsd in the UK?

If there isn't one in the UK, hit one in Europe or clone your own from .za
but do *not* sup the "secure" packages from any site in the US or Canada.

Oh .. as a side note .. mere _possession_ of strong cryptographic software
in France without government approval is presently a punishable offense ..
good for a gaol term, I'm told.

It matters and you should care ..

	michael