Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 1997 14:03:46 -0700
From:      "David E. Tweten" <tweten@ns.frihet.com>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PC Card SCSI for 2.2 Stable?

I may have just (okay, several weeks ago) wasted my money buying an Adaptec
SlimSCSI PCMCIA HBA card.  I've been unable to get it to work on a FreeBSD
system, CVSupped from RELENG_2_2 about a week ago.

The machine is an NEC Versa 6030X laptop which has only two remaining
interrupts available after all the built-in stuff has been accounted for.
They are INTs 11 and 15.  Though the Adaptec box said nothing about interrupt
requirements, the card's Card Information Structure (CIS) says it can only
use INTs 3 or 5.  Needless to say, I haven't been able to make it work.

The card is now temporarily in the hands of a co-worker who wants to try it
out with NetBSD.  He maintains my problem is bogus behavior on the part of
FreeBSD. He says Card Services in FreeBSD should just have mapped the one
actual interrupt line on a PC card to whatever host interrupt it wished from
the pool, ignoring the CIS.

I just bought a copy of MindShare's PCMCIA book, and haven't yet finished
reading TFM.  Still, being impatient, I have the following questions:

1) Is my young NetBSD-loving friend right?  Should FreeBSD 2.2-Stable Card
Services have been able to handle the situation?  If so, is it being fixed?
After I finish the book, can I help?  That way, I'll actually be able to
_use_ my purchase when Jason is through with it.

2) If he is merely exposing his religeous devotion to NetBSD (which can be
awesome to behold), what SCSI HBA PC cards are there that will work with
FreeBSD on interrupts 11 or 15?  It seems one can't depend upon the outside
of the box for this kind of critical information.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide.
--
David E. Tweten           |  2047-bit PGP fingerprint:  |  tweten@frihet.com
12141 Atrium Drive        |   E9 59 E7 5C 6B 88 B8 90   |     tweten@and.com