Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:31:21 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shell command not working in ppp.linkdown

On 1/24/00, 11:24:21 PM, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> wrote=

regarding shell command not working in ppp.linkdown:

> I start xtimer from /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup using

>  bg xtimer

> but trying to kill it in ppp.linkdown with:

>  shell kill `cat /tmp/xtimer.pid`

> doesn't work (/tmp/xtimer.pid contains *only* the pid). No errors
> anywhere, xtimer just keeps running, however:

>  shell killall xtimer

> does work.

> Anyone any idea why the former doesn't work?

> --
>       "there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
>       that allows you to install Windows too"
>                                  -Matthew D. Fuller

Dear Mark Ovens,

correct me I am wrong: if you issue "killall", you kill *all* the
instances of a given "program" (which instances are *different*=20
processes), if
you issue "kill",you should just kill one instance or process.

I usually issue a "killall" to kill StarOffice when it behaves badly

Although I have NOT used xtimer yet and I do NOT know how it works
(how many processes etc.), this information might apply :-)

N.B. my_fake_antispam_domain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to e.mail to me.

Best regards,
Salvo