Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:01:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      tatem@labcorp.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/16268: installation/lowering expectations

>Number:         16268
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       installation/lowering expectations
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Ladies and Gentlemen -
The user installation interface for the 3.3 product leaves
very much to be desired when compared to the linux world's
current dists (RH 6.1, Mandrake 6.0+, Caldera, etc). I have
tried to install this package several times and continuously
get errors on packages not being foud or the install locking
up(stopping). There is very little recourse in back navigating
the config screens. If you return to a screen, there is nothing
new presented showing previous choices made (ie did I goof up
and not enter anything?) The install is SLOW as compared to the
linux installs. If I choose all I want all!! the cd was not bootable,
it couldn't decide what was the bootable device. Since I haven't
gotten th ebox up on 3.3 I can't evaluate what else may not work
or work. I should be able to install and stumble around and have
something in less than 30 miuntes on this machine. It may not be
what I wanted but it should go ping in that time. I am very fair
and when I find something I like, I am stupidly loyal. Right now
I feel I wasted my $$ and am wasting my time. If this is to go out
the masses, then the interface should be more flexible and dependencies
fixed. An example is on the current installation packages which installed
correctly before will not install this time. The message box says to look at
the debug screen for info. The book does not address how to get to the
install debug screen to fix the problem while installing....

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Work on the user interface and package dependencies.