Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:21:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jdw@wwwi.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> > Then you shouldn't call it FreeBSD, because it isn't.  You should
> > call it "MembersOnlyBSD."
>
> I think now you yourself are starting to become infected with flamer's
> disease (it's the one where people say and do stupid things which have
> no bearing on actual reality).  I'd seriously recommend standing down
> on this issue NOW before it deteriorates any further.
>
> 					Jordan

Uh, yeah.

There are some problems in FreeBSD currently.  There is one particular nasty
bug which is causing us heartburn right now, in fact.

However, this is mitigated by two things:

1)	The core team KNOWS this one particular heartburn problem is a big
	deal to us.

2)	The OTHER problems that we've found we can either (1) fix ourselves,
	or (2) have gotten reasonable response to.

FreeBSD goes through cycles where its not fit to be toilet paper.  So does
any other piece of software.  The difference is that with most commercialware
you can't get ahold of the interim copies AT ALL, and if they do release a
toiletware copy you're basically *screwed* for months if not years (see
Solaris 2.x before 2.4 for some fine examples of this.)

If you aren't willing to run your own lab then don't use the non-RELEASE
versions in production.  Period.

If you ARE willing to run your own lab, then RUN YOUR OWN LAB.  If you can
contribute back to the community, that's even better.

I've heard lots of allegations about hiding things and sinister problems and
black-holing fixes, especially in the security realm.

Every time I've actually looked into it, the bottom line is that no
substantiation has been found and there is a hint of someone's political
motive in the allegation.

I *LIKE* FreeBSD.  Enough to work on fixing the ONE serious problem that I
have with the release -- once we have that FIXED then every machine at
MCSNet will end up running it in very, very short order.

We beat the SNOT out of this OS.  It works.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!