Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:13:52 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        peter@spinner.dialix.com, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium CPU steppings

E-mail message from Poul-Henning Kamp contained:

> >> Linux can do it, so why couldn't we ?
> >
> >Yeah, but have you ever seen it report "yes"?  Last I checked, (2.0.twenty
> >something), the code looked very much like it hardwired the "fdiv bug
> >present?" result to "no" and I could not find any code in the kernel that
>
> yes, they circumvent it, I belive in their compiler :-)

But do they circumvent it in all instances?  According to c't magazine,
Intel admitted that some other operations that internally use FDIV are
also buggy.  From the top of my head:
	ATAN
	ATAN2
	and about 5 or 6 others.
N.B. the interpolation trick does not help at all if you use these
(and practically all of ray-tracing software does ):

/Marino