Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:06:12 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        David Holland <dholland@xmission.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question on JDK1.2.2 FAQ #5 {JBuilder and JPDA}

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 12:05:53AM -0600, David Holland wrote:
> In trying to get JPDA to work with JBuilder using the
> native JDK1.2.2 (P9), I copied the jpda.jar and dt.jar files from the
> linux_jdk1.2.2/lib directory into the
> jdk1.2.2/lib directory.
>
> But when I tried to use it, i.e.
>
> java -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
>    -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=9123,suspend=n
>      HelloWorld
>
> I get:
>
> Can't load "libjdwp.so", because Shared object "libjdwp.so" not found
> Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Ok, with a bit more research...

With the official Solaris releases:
jpda.jar, libjdwp.so, dt.jar and libdt_socket.so are all part of JDK 1.3,
but are _not_ part of JDK 1.2.2.  And, in particular, they are not part of
the JDK 1.2.2 source code we currently have access to under the SCSL.

Now, the Blackdown folk, who have access to the JDK 1.3 source code, have
obviously included these libraries and jars into the Linux JDK they have
released.

I've just sucked down the JDK 1.3 Beta source which is available under
the SCSL, and (after a _very_ brief look) it appears as though it may
include the appropriate code for building the necessary thingies.  We might
be able to graft this code into the FreeBSD native JDK but I'll need to
have a better look at this when I have time to be sure.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083