Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 17:28:28 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        re@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of upgrades from 4.0 to the recent 4.x (was: Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/make Makefile compat.c job.c main.c pathnames.h)

> I've been able to successfully upgrade a fresh 4.0-RELEASE to
> 4.6-RC2 with this patch applied to RELENG_4's make(1) sources.

Great! :-)

> The -DNOPERL is also required as gnu/usr.bin/perl/library/*
> makefiles call /usr/obj Perl's MakeMaker generated makefiles
> which have SHELL set to /bin/sh, and attempt to run shell from
> here.  The work-around is to modify the "sh=" setting in the
> gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl/config.*, but I'm not sure if this
> is the correct fix or not.  Mark Murray CC'ed for consultancy.

When you see MakeMaker being used, run screaming from the room.
It is the single largest cause of breakage in the perl-on-freebsd
build. If there is any other way of doing this, take that route.

> 2.  Merge the C version of makewhatis(1), it works very nice,
>     and produces much more sane output than the Perl version.

I would substantially support this route.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn