Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 21:27:01 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jeff@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removal of register && K&R function decl.

At 7:39 PM -0400 5/1/02, Jeff Roberson wrote:
>What is the policy on commits soley to remove the register
>keyword, as well as ansification of functions?

The decision has already been made that ansi-fication of source
is a good idea, and many commits have been made along those lines
in the last few months.  I'm pretty sure the consensus is that
it's also a good idea to remove 'register' references, generally
done as a separate commit.  That way it's a little easier to test
that no bugs are introduced by the ansi-fication.

>A certain eager contributor would like to do a general sweep
>through kern/* to remove these antiquities.

However, with all the SMPng and other kernel work going on, it
probably would not be a good idea to go running around changing
those particular source files.  Ansi-fication is a "good thing",
but it is not a high-priority change to make.  It is not a
"good thing" if doing this will disrupt other work which is
actively going on in the same source files.  You'd need to
check on a file-by-file basis to see if anyone's working on
it, instead of trying for a general sweep through all the files.

Note that I don't work on the kern files, so the above is just
my own opinion.