Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:41:54 -0500
From:      exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stupid question no 10101

Michael Dillon writes:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Justin Harvey wrote:
>
> > Or, yet another alternative is to use NIS, I know you said it was
> > insecure but you need to define 'insecue'.  I bet it would be more secure
> > than whatever kind of password exchanging mechanism you're thining of
> > programming.
>
> I did mention RADIUS you know. This is an IETF standard for encrypted
> authentication.

Hopefully before it becomes a standard, it will be fixed.  One of the most
blatant mistakes is that it is based on UDP and there is no allowance for
acknowledgement of STOP messages.
--
Christopher Masto  .   .   .   .   Superior Net Support: support@superior.net
chris@masto.com  .   .   .   .   . Masto Consulting:           info@masto.com

On Exports, Routine:
 The exports include] thumbscrews and cattle prods, just routine items for
 the police.
 - Commerce Department spokesman on a regulation allowing the export of
 - various products abroad