Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:08:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      kfurge@worldnet.att.net
To:        Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (Fwd) Info on replacing Windows NT with Linux or FreeBSD

I have done nearly *exactly* what this guy wants to do in two small
offices that I take care of.  I have been putting off documenting my
recipe, but perhaps now I should get off of my duff.  In a nutshell,
here's how the whole system works:

Setup:
  1.  Hylafax/Samba/Ghostscript/IMAP4 setup and running on server.
  2.  Ghostview configured on PC to handle PS attachments to MIME mails.
  3.  Netscape 4.5 setup on PC to read the FAX user's mailbox on
      the server.

Receiving a fax:
  1.  Hylafax receives a fax, packages it in postscript and attaches
      it to an e-mail which is delivered to the FAX user.  This part is
      easy.
  2.  Client uses netscape to open the FAX mailbox.  All incoming faxes
      have the fax number and sender id on subject line.  Clicking
      on the attachment allows viewing with ghostview.
  3.  Administrator organizes incoming faxes however they chose using IMAP
      folders.

Sending a fax:
  1.  Client prints to one of two fax printers.  The first generates
      a fax with no cover sheet, the second auto-generates a cover
      sheet.  The printer configured on the client is simply a generic
      postscript printer.  The "Digital Colormate PS" is my favorite.
  2.  The "printer" on the server is actually a clever perl script that
      starts by connecting back to the client's machine.
  3.  The client machine is running a little program I discovered called
      "Respond" which sits in the tool tray waiting for a connection.
      When connected to, it pops up and asks for sender, receiver, fax
      number, etc.
  4.  The perl script digests the response, and queues the fax for
      delivery.  It also sends a MIME e-mail with a postscript attachment
      of the queued fax to the FAX user.  This allows resending of the fax
      if necessary.
  5.  The user is kept up-to-date about the status of the fax with
      periodic winpopup messages.  Events are also logged to a file
      which is shared under samba.

This method has some unique benefits.  First, all faxes are treated as
standard e-mails.  Resending or forwarding a fax is as easy as reprinting
it.  Built upon Hylafax, it should scale well (though I have never used it
in an environment with more than 5-6 active faxers).  IMAP as the mail
server insures that faxes can be administered from any authorized
workstation. Faxes are always stored on the server and benefit from large
HDD space and regular backups, etc.

If you're interested in the details for your web site, let me know and I
can create a step-by-step how-to.

- K.C.