Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 21:34:46 +1000
From:      phil grainger <freebsd@pronet.net.au>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Review --NT suckup rag

At 09:38 PM 3/06/1998 -0700, Jordan wrote:
>And as far as commercial support is concerned, I agree with that too
>and that's really probably come down most to just us here at Walnut
>Creek CDROM dropping the ball.  We have the infrastructure, we have
>the funds and we could get the personnel if we just pulled our thumbs
>out and decided to go for it, but the tech-support canyon before which
>we stand is also a very deep one, and I suppose we can be forgiven for
>showing a little reticence to jump.
>- Jordan

I nearly fell of my chair when I read that.

Walnut Creek IMHO is probably not the right organisation to offer
commercial support for (our) freebsd,
But 110% better than none or just talking about it.
WC has a great product line, but selling shareware doesn't compare to
maintaining unix boxes, and it isn't a global company.
I think your reticance about pushing walnut creek into the commercial unix
business is partially justified.

But does this mean a commercial support is put on hold till Walnut Creek
gets around to it?
Have you spoken to the bsd programming team yet?

I look forward to doing some chequebook/visa-card computing :-)

How difficult can it be (or how bad is the standard of the average system
admin)?
I sold a 28.8k modem to a "network administrator" at a local uni, I emailed
him to find out how it was going a few days later,
he complained of only getting 3k a sec and not 28k.
This guy has root password on the uni's firewall-webserver-internet gateway
HP unix box ...
good luck jordan !