Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 23:43:20 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> I propose that just as we have RESTRICTED for ports, we could do
> similar things with insecure applications.  As a matter of fact we
> already do, e.g. NO_BIND, NO_LPR, NO_SENDMAIL, NOGAMES and NOUUCP.  We
> could have additional NO_insecure_application definitions in make.conf.
>
> Instead, we could comment out in inetd.conf services that the community
> has decided are insecure and have the administrator uncomment the
> services he/she wishes to use.
>
> In short, the only conclusion that I can come to that would keep most
> everyone happy, and even then some will bitch and complain, is that the
> use of options in make.conf and in sysinstall should satisfy both
> camps.  Be prepared for those who will argue that they don't want to go
> through a million options before installing FreeBSD.  My answer to them
> is that we can't have our cake and eat it too and to have options is
> the closest thing we come to having our cake and eating it too.
Still, I think the default should be "insecure" install, since most
machines are firewalled.
Let the OpenBSD guys stick to paranoya. If one wants to install an
internet host, the "default-secure" install won't suffice anyway, so why
annoy all other people which don't need the security?

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]